Tuesday, September 9, 2014

End Hiatus/Pancit

Yep.  I have most definitely stopped updating.  I have more free time than ever but I still find that I can't be bothered to take pictures while cooking, and of all things that is my biggest obstacle in posting.  But really, what is his blog for?  It's not going to make me famous, these recipes are either slightly modified reposts or pretty straightforward inventions that anybody could come up with.  I'm not trying to get internet fame or make this a full time job, I just want an easy way to share things I'm eating that I'm excited about with people I know.  That's it.  So basically you don't need any damn pictures is what I'm saying.  Sometimes you'll get them, most of the time you won't, but I promise I'll post more.  Deal.

Here is my super exciting find of the last couple of months.  While searching for cheap paleo recipes I came across Paleo Pancit on paleohacks.  This meal is a trifecta of perfection--it's dirt cheap, it makes a lot of food, and it's very low calorie and low carb.  But somehow it's filling and DELICIOUS.

I changed the recipe quite a bit--the original version wanted shrimp, pork AND chicken which was meat overkill.  Too much and chicken and pork are too similar.  I suggest you choose one meat, and then it will shine.  It's mouth watering with any of these, so just use what's on sale.  Also the original recipe had more fish sauce and I thought it was too much.  Yes, I said fish sauce.  Trust me, ok?  It adds umami which is a fullness of flavor you get from msg and bacon.  Fish sauce is in Worcestershire sauce and Caesar dressing.  Umami is that je ne sais quois that makes things delicious.  And you won't overtly taste the amount I'm telling you to put in.  If you absolutely positively will not use it you can use miso paste (a heaping scoop) but I'm sure you eat fish sauce in restaurant food and dozens of things already without knowing it so you need to get over yourself and trust me.


Delilah's Revised Paleo Pancit

1 lb pork, chicken, or shrimp
1 small to medium head of cabbage (or 6 cups pre-shredded, but a head is cheap!)
2-5 large carrots (or the equivalent baby carrots or 1-2 cups shredded carrots)
2-4 green onions or fresh chives
1/4 c Soy sauce (or coconut aminos or tamari or ponzu)
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth or bouillon/water
3 tbsp sesame or coconut oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp fish sauce
Black pepper
Lemon

Prep: chop cabbage into thin strips, shred/grate carrots, chop green onions/chives up (I like using kitchen scissors for this), mince garlic and cut your meat (if using chicken or pork) into 1/2-1 inch chunks.  If using shrimp, remove the tails but leave whole.


Heat the oil in the largest frying pan you have (or a wok if you own one!) and toss in the garlic.  Stir for just a second and then throw in the meat.  Cook the meat on medium to high (this won't be long if your shrimp are precooked) and then dump it into a bowl off to the side.  Now add the cabbage and carrots to the pan.  It'll be too much, but keep stirring and eventually it will wilt and become more manageable.  Once it's wilted (4-10 min, just depends) add the green onions, soy sauce, chicken stock, fish sauce and meat back to the pan and put a bunch of black pepper on top.  Stir and put a lid on for another 2-3 minutes, then dish into bowls, squeeze a lemon wedge over the top and enjoy!!!



This makes about 6 regular servings or 4 large ones.  It really doesn't need a side because it's veggies and meat together.  The broth is DELICIOUS.  It keeps well in Tupperware and reheats wonderfully.  It depends on the meat but a serving is generally only around 200-300 calories and somehow it fills you up like 2-3 slices of pizza would.

No comments:

Post a Comment